Wednesday 14 March 2012

Would I do it again

Drawers -  were certainly a lot harder than I thought they'd be using those runners. They were extremely difficult to set in and get right but I think they were worth the effort, not to see all the hardware when you open the drawer. As I had carved the front and carcass already it was much easier to fine tune the doors and drawers to match. I would have been in big trouble if I'd put normal drawer runners.
Carving - If I made this cabinet again I would set all the doors and drawers in, fettled them so everything was in place then carved the front. 
Because there where things I had to wait for I used that spare time to carve. It was  time management that forced me to carve earlier than I should have.
Hinges - setting the hinges in for the doors was difficult as there was no straight edge/point to measure off - nothing was square. The quality of the hinge was poor as I said earlier, very disappointing.
Lock - I was disappointed with the lock, the quality was very average. I thought being English it would be better than what it was. 
I'm not happy with the spacings around the drawers and doors. You need some but I didn't allow for sanding. Sanding takes a little bit off each and that compounds to a lot overall.
Handles - not sure they worked all that well. They are not sharp/crisp where they went into the wood, I feel that is not as good as it could have been. 


Would I make this cabinet again.....................yes if someone offered me enough I would. 





No comments:

Post a Comment