Tuesday 21 August 2012

South West Showcase Sculpture (un - named)

The initial idea was for a hall table design. My lecturer at The Australian School of Wood in Dwellingup was quite taken with the design because it was very unusual. I thought about using the design as a free standing form, which has changed to make more sculptural. This is not suppose to be a functional piece it's a piece of art. 
I incorporated stainless steel to expand on not just wood oriented, I like to introduce other elements. By shaping this stainless steel rod it certainly has given definition to this sculptural piece. I was going to use another piece of stainless steel in close to help hold the whole piece together but when my lecturer suggested I try and get all the spines to meet together in the centre, I thought this would be a better option.

I started by drawing a full scale drawing of the sculpture, using a french curve template to make sure the curve was how I wanted them. As there is 12 veins and they will meet at the one centre point these needed to be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment